This introductory course is designed to acquaint new paddlers or be a refresher for people coming back to recreational and flatwater kayaking. We start with basic strokes. It's a great starting place with a very high ceiling. We cover proper use and implementation of all the strokes used for proper, safe, and injury free kayak paddling.
A strong emphasis is placed on good biomechanics to enhance efficiency and effectiveness while preventing both long and short term injury. Through this course we aid balance and establish your ability to control boat direction, position, stability and get a great upper body workout.
This class is held at Idaho River Sports on Quinn's Pond minutes from downtown Boise on the Greenbelt.
Flatwater/Recreational Kayaking is a great class to get you on the water!
Activities Covered in this Course:
- Introduction of equipment - kayaks, paddles, and life jackets
- Safety considerations in using recreational kayaks
- Entering and exiting your kayak
- Forward stroke
- Reverse stroke
- Stopping your kayak
- Forward and reverse sweeps for turning
- Draw strokes to move a kayak sideways
- Lifting and carrying your kayak
- Bow and stern rudder strokes (if time permits)
Cost: $37 includes use of boat, paddle, PFD and professional instruction. For more information or to sign up for the class, please call the shop at 208-336-4844 to reserve your spot.